Life would be so dull without avocados, and tortilla chips! This is a super simple recipe for summertime snacking. Use ripe avocados and a vegetable masher for the best consistency. Make lots and keep leftovers in the fridge in a tall Tupperware container (or a glass jar) with a layer of olive oil on top to prevent oxidation.
Have you tried our 2018 Ortega yet? If not, stop by the tasting room soon! This guacamole is a perfect accompaniment to a chilled bottle of Ortega. Just add a couple pals and a big bowl of Abuelo’s corn tortilla chips. You can find Abuelo’s chips in our tasting room, as well as at the Courtenay Farmer’s Market on Saturdays.
INGREDIENTS Makes about a pint
4-5 large ripe avocados
1 medium tomato
1/4 of a small red onion
juice of 2 limes
1/2 tsp dried granulated garlic
1 tsp ground cumin
2 tsps ground coriander
2 large handfuls of cilantro
salt and pepper to taste
- Peel and pit the avocados and place the flesh in a large bowl. Give them a rough mash.
- Finely chop the tomato (leave the skin on!) and the onion.
- Add the tomato, onion, lime juice, granulated garlic and spices to the avocados; mash to mix.
- Finely chop the cilantro (leaves and stalks), and add that to the guacamole. Give the mix one final mash (it should still be a little lumpy). Season to taste.
- Serve heaped up in a big bowl for dipping.