These squidgy double chocolate cookies with toasted macadamias are just the ticket on a grey and chilly day, and even better paired with a glass of mulled wine. We love to infuse our Franc Merlot with Hornby Island Tea’s mulling spices – grab a sachet from the Comox Valley Farmers’ Market on Saturday mornings. 2016 Franc Merlot is available at select liquor stores on Vancouver Island, and in the tasting room in December (15th & 16th AND 22nd & 23rd).
INGREDIENTS Makes about 8 large cookies
1 tablespoon milled flax
1/4 cup water
1/4 cup sunflower oil
1 tsp vanilla extract
1 cup Demerara sugar
1 cup white flour
1/3 cup cocoa
1/2 tsp baking soda
pinch of salt
1/4 cup dark choc chips
1/4 cup macadamia nuts
- Preheat oven to 350F.
- Place the nuts in a single layer on a small baking tray and toast for 10-15 minutes until aromatic and just starting to colour. Set aside to cool.
- Sift the flour, salt, baking soda and cocoa powder into a large bowl. In a separate bowl, whisk together the water, oil, vanilla, sugar and flax. Add the wet ingredients to the dry and mix together with a large spoon.
- Roughly chop the macadamia nuts and add them to the cookie mix along with the chocolate chips. Mix well.
- Use slightly wet hands to form the cookie dough into balls (we make 8 pretty large cookies with a single batch). Place the balls on 2 cookie sheets lined with parchment paper and place in a preheated oven for 15-20 minutes. Rotate the trays once during the bake time. When the cookies are done they will have a slightly cracked surface, but will still look a little squidgy in the centre.
- Leave the cookies to cool for 5 minutes on their trays before removing them to a wire rack. The cookies will keep for a week in an airtight container.